Especially if you are already a Discovery Medical Aid member, you should take full advantage of the Visa Discovery Card benefits for South Africans. The Visa Discovery Card is essentially a credit card, allowing you to make purchases on credit. Depending on your circumstances, there are 5 different cards you can qualify for: blue, bronze, silver, gold, or diamond. As the highest ranking card, a diamond card has the best benefits, but all cards come with certain advantages and opportunities for you to save money when you use them.
How do I apply for a Visa Discovery Card?
- You can apply for your Discovery Card telephonically by calling 0860 11 CARD (2273).
- Discovery will check your real-time credit rating and send you a quote. This quote will tell you which Discovery Card you qualify for, how much your fees are, and what your credit limit is. Please note that all applications for a Discovery Card are subject to affordability and credit assessments.
- You can accept the quote you receive by signing and returning it by fax. To this document you must also attach a proof of income and a copy of your identification document.
- You will then receive you Discovery Card (within 14 days after accepting the quote) and be able to use the Visa Discovery Card benefits for South Africans. Once you have received the card, contact Discovery to let them know.
- Two weeks after receiving the card you will get a PIN number, allowing you to withdraw cash from your Discovery Card.
With a Discovery Card, you can get cash back when you shop at the stores listed on the comprehensive network of partner businesses. The amount of the cash back depends on your Vitality Drive status, your Vitality status (or both), and the amount you spend at the partner store within the billing cycle.
What are the Discovery Card partner stores?
- Altech Autopage
- Altech Netstar
- Cape Union Mart
- Exclusive Books
- Look & Listen
- Pick n Pay
- Tiger Wheel and Tyre
- The Pro Shop
Cash back amounts will amount to different savings depending on how long you have been a member and the type of Discovery Card you have (excluding Pick n Pay and Tiger Wheel & Tyre):
- If you have been on Vitality for less than 3 years, you are entitled to: 10% savings on a blue, bronze, silver or gold card.
- If you have been on Vitality for 3 to 5 years, you are entitled to: 10 % savings on blue; 11% savings on bronze; 12% savings on silver; 13% savings on gold; and 15% savings on diamond.
- If you have been on Vitality for more than 5 years, blue cards will be rewarded with 10% savings; 11% savings on bronze; 13% savings on silver, 15% savings on gold, and 20% savings on diamond.
The fine print
- The maximum amount of discount you can get at these partner stores is limited to 30% of your total spendage on your Discovery Card within that statement period.
- The total cash back amount is calculated with a limit of R10 000 spending at any of the Discovery Card partner stores.
- You won’t get cash back when paying in-store accounts or to make third party payments such as telephone accounts. This applies to partner stores, as well as Pick n Pay clothing, Pick n Pay liquor, Pick n Pay pharmacies and Pick n Pay express stores. These transactions do, however, contribute to your total spend on you Discovery Card.
To find out if you are eligible for a Discovery Card and can take advantage of some of the great benefits of using it, contact Discovery Health or visit their website to find out more.